From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Quick rsync backup before changing a RAID
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 15:25:12
1 On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 6:44 AM, Benny Pedersen <me@××××.eu> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht skrev den 2013-06-19 20:59:
5 >> mark@c2RAID6 ~ $ cat ./DoBackups
6 >> mount /backups
7 >> rsync -avx /VirtualMachines/VMWare/. /backups/VMWare
10 > is not possible to make native vmware backup in blocklevel ?, or is file
11 > level backup needed ?
14 Possibly, and it's sensible that Virtualbox & VMWare would provide
15 some mechanisms to do that, but then I'd have to back up a bunch of
16 different VMs using different tools, and that would only get the VMs
17 and not the other files on the old RAID.
18
19 <SNIP>
20 >> rsync -avx /home/. /backups/home
23 > this would make a tarball instaed ?
26 No, it's not a tarball, it's just a copy of the file system structure
27 that existed on the old RAID/
28
29 <SNIP>
30 >
31 > its possible to make filelevel backups to nas disks like qnap i have here
32 > with have rsync client/server, but if you more liked to migrade to another
33 > vmware/virtualbox then rsync is not the best option for backups
36 OK, I'm not sure I'm understanding you but I'm not trying to migrate
37 from one version fo VBox or VMWare to another. I'm only trying to
38 reduce the number of RAIDs on a single set of drives. The RAID6 that
39 has / is being enlarged and then the copied data will be added onto
40 that array in the same locations (/VirtualMachines) instead of
41 mounting a second RAID under /VirtualMachine. There is no migration
42 going on in terms of executable versions.
45 >> When the RAID comes back up I want to reverse and copy back from
46 >> USB drive to the /VirtualMachines directory.
49 > will not create the virtualbox/vmware setup, if thats not needed then ok
50
51 I guess I agree. It won't 'create' it because it's already there. In
52 fact I mounted the USB backup drive at /VirtualMachines and ran the
53 VMs from the USB drive as a test that it was working before I removed
54 the old RAID. I expect that when I rsync the USB backup back to
55 /VirtualMachines on the new, larger / RAID6 it will continue to work.
56
57 Thanks for the comments.
58
59 Cheers,