From: Roman Zilka <rzilka@××××.cz>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Several Problems
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 18:30:18
1 Okay, let's see...
2
3 > # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
4
5 :-)
6
7 > Section "ServerLayout"
8 > Identifier "Default Layout"
9 > Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
10 > InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
11 > InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
12 > #InputDevice "Synaptics"
13 > EndSection
14
15 This might be causing the touchpad not to work. Try this instead:
16
17 Section "ServerLayout"
18 Identifier "Default Layout"
19 Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
20 InputDevice "Generic Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
21 InputDevice "Configured Mouse" "CorePointer"
22 InputDevice "Synaptics" "AlwaysCore"
23 EndSection
24
25 Do you see the synaptics touchpad mentioned somewhere in dmesg? If
26 not, something's missing in your kernel (PS/2 mice maybe; or synaptics).
27
28 Next, replace the following line:
29
30 > Load "extmod"
31
32 with these three lines:
33
34 SubSection "extmod"
35 Option "omit xfree86-dga"
36 EndSubSection
37
38 Over here, try commenting out the second 'Option'.
39
40 > Section "Device"
41 > Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
42 > Driver "fglrx"
43 > Option "VideoOverlay" "On"
44 > Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "on"
45 > EndSection
46
47 Is /dev/dri/card0 (or something else instead of card0) read/writable by
48 your user account? (Is there any file in that directory at all?)
49
50 > The ati driver version is: 8.27.10.
51 > The Kernel Version is: 2.6.17-gentoo-r5.
52
53 The -r5 version is masked for amd64. Try downgrading
54 to the lastest stable: 2.6.17-r4. On the contrary, upgrade ati-drivers
55 to the latest masked (i.e. 8.27.10-r1). First compile the kernel, then
56 emerge ati-drivers.
57 Using particular versions of gentoo-sources vs. ati-drivers was one of
58 my problems with that graphics card. I used 2.6.17-r4 and also the
59 latest stable ati-drivers. Emerge of these ati-drivers
60 went through all phases, but the essential component hasn't been
61 compiled and installed: the DRM module and I kept getting the same errors
62 in the log as you do. Watch the entire 'emerge ati-drivers' carefully and
63 if you see something like "DRM module wasn't built", play with other
64 versions of ati-drivers and/or gentoo-sources.
65
66 Another idea: make sure the following kernel options are in the proper
67 configuration (all under Device Drivers -> Character Devices):
68 /dev/agpgart (AGP Support) - Y or M
69 ATI chipset support - Y or M
70 Direct Rendering Manager - M or N (!)
71 ATI Radeon - M or N (if you see it at all)
72
73 If I was at some point speaking well-known garbage, I'm sorry.:)
74 Those were my two milestones towards a happy DRI and 3D-support.
75 If you get it working, how many FPS does glxgears give you
76 with the default window size? I have the feeling my result (~250 FPS) is
77 very weak even for this card. I gotta google...
78
79 HTH
80 -Roman
81 --