From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:09:41
1 Bertrand Jacquin <beber.gentoo@×××××.com> skribis:
2 > How could you compile mplayer or firefox in your 64 bits environnement
3 > to generate 32 bits binary ? I have multilib activated and I can't
4 > build mplayer with CFLAGS="-m32".
5 >
6 > It is needing something else ?
7 >
8 > I don't want too to have and maintain a 32 bit chroot.
9
10 You don’t want to use portage to build 32-bit versions in the 64-bit
11 environment. If you want to build these programs then do it outside of
12 portage, according to the INSTALL instructions (or similar) that come
13 with the programs. The problem then is you may have to build libraries
14 used by the programs, too, creating a lot of ‘infrastructure’ in
15 /usr/local. There’s nothing wrong with that, except I prefer to have
16 the chroot and use portage to maintain my 32-bit libraries.
17
18 Currently there is very little support in portage to build 32-bit
19 software in the 64-bit environment. I don’t know, though, that a truly
20 multilib Gentoo would be significantly easier to maintain than a
21 64+chroot32 Gentoo. The main trouble is that there isn’t a lot of
22 support for setting up the chroot, either. There’s no ebuild for it.
25 Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org http://www.chemoelectric.org
26 Esperantistoj rajtas skribi al Bojo ĉe chemoelectric.org.
27 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
28 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)