From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Changing the displayed character sets
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:28:08
1 I've been having a bit of trouble for some time with the characters
2 displayed on the virtual consoles (I blame genetics compounded by anno
3 domini). Specifically, a zero is always displayed with a device to
4 distinguish it from an O, even though the shapes of those characters differ
5 without the need of any artifice.
6
7 Until recently I was setting my consoles to use en_GB.ISO-8859-1, and a zero
8 had a central dot; whereas, since I switched to en_GB.UTF-8 the dot has
9 been replaced with a diagonal bar like a solidus. Not only do I think both
10 of these are unnecessary, they actually cause me confusion in that they
11 both make a zero look like an 8! Sometimes the resemblance is so compelling
12 that I'll happily use the wrong digit in bash commands and so on, so it's
13 not just a cosmetic problem.
14
15 My question is: where would I have to go to change the definition of a zero
16 character for display on a virtual console? I've looked in a few places but
17 nothing leaps out at me so far. Possibly, another character set exists
18 already that I could use instead of what I have, but the prospect of trying
19 all those available under /usr/share/consolefonts fills me with dread.
20
21 In delightful contrast with the VCs, konsole uses a much clearer character
22 set, but I can't use that on an X-less system.
25 Rgds
26 Peter
27 --
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list