From: Bob Slawson <bslawson@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Need to install Abit AB9 Pro motherboard
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:02:33
1 P.V.Anthony wrote:
2 > I need some advice on how to configure the kernel 2.6.20 to see the
3 > sata drives and the ide on the JMicron controller JMB 363.
4 >
5 > After following the gentoo docs on installing then I rebooted the
6 > system. There is a error stating that the root=/dev/sda2 is wrong. Not
7 > sure what I did wrong.
8 >
9 > I am guessing that the correct module was not activated and the kernel
10 > cannot see the drive.
11 >
12 Probably correct. Did you compile the kernel with the JMB36x driver
13 'built-in' (<*>) or as a loadable module (<M>)? In order for the kernel
14 to find the root partition, the correct hardware drivers must be
15 'built-in'. The modules are in /lib/modules/<kernel_version>/... so if
16 the kernel can't find the root partition (no appropriate built-in
17 hardware driver) it certainly can't load a module stored under the root
18 ('/') tree.
19
20 BobS
23 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list