From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: LVM2 Failures
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:28:13
1 Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> posted
2 45EC04D0.3030505@××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Mon, 05 Mar 2007
3 06:53:52 -0500:
4
5 > Does anybody know what happens if an LVM2 physical volume fails?
6 > Obviously any data on that physical volume is lost, and I'd imagine any
7 > logical volumes that reside in part or whole on that physical volume
8 > would be a mess.
9 >
10 > What happens to logical volumes in the same volume group which do not
11 > reside on the lost physical volume? Are they easily recovered? How
12 > about logical volumes in a different volume group - are those affected
13 > at all? I didn't see any documentation on this topic on the lvm2 HOWTO.
14 >
15 > I'm contemplating adding another drive and rsyncing stuff to it. Ideally
16 > I'd like to use lvm2 with the new drive, and just make sure the stuff
17 > that is important to backup doesn't end up on the same physical drive
18 > (easy enough to do). However, I don't want the backup drive to
19 > disappear in a puff of logic if one of the main drives fails.
20
21 In addition to BSSJ's answer, since you are just setting up, I'd suggest
22 paying particular attention to the LVM metadata sets. It gives you a lot
23 of control as to how many copies it makes and where it puts them, so just
24 make sure it's saving its metadata say once or twice to each of several
25 of the drives (of course NOT as files on the LVs themselves!) you
26 mentioned you had in your collection, so you'll be sure and have it
27 around to recover with if there's anything at all left to recover. It'd
28 suck to know what you needed was there and fine, but unavailable because
29 all the metadata needed to reconstruct what was left of the volumes was
30 on the drives that failed!
31
32 Here (altho my LVM is layered over RAID-6), I tweaked both the number of
33 backups, and the size of the history, thus providing me rather more of a
34 redundancy safety margin, just in case.
35
36 You'll also want to keep redundant copies of the recovery tools around,
37 as all that metadata won't do a lot of good if LVM isn't loading it and
38 you can't tell why because the recovery tools are either on the LVM
39 themselves, or were lost with the drive(s) that went out.
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
47 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list