From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Seamonkey vs Mozilla: pointless cage match
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:31:44
1 On 11/15/06, felix@×××××××.com <felix@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > What I want is to remerge everything on the system, whether it is a
3 > dependency or not, everything.
4
5 Ok, this wasn't clear from your original post. As Neil said,
6 --emptytree is what you want.
7
8 > [ebuild N ] media-video/totem-2.16.2-r1 USE="a52 dbus dvd flac gnome hal lirc mad mpeg nsplugin ogg theora vorbis xine xv -debug -firefox -nvtv" 0 kB
9 > [ebuild N ] www-client/seamonkey-1.0.6 USE="crypt gnome ipv6 java ldap postgres xinerama xprint -debug -mozcalendar -mozdevelop -moznocompose -moznoirc -moznomail -moznopango -moznoroaming" 0 kB
10
11 [snip]
12
13 > It doesn't really explain why totem cares about seamonkey vs firefox
14 > vs mozilla, or how anyone shoudl know that nsplugin actually means
15 > seamonkey. This is the most frustrating part.
16
17 nsplugin doesn't /mean/ seamonkey:
18
19 ~ > grep -e nsplugin -e firefox /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
20 firefox - Build against Firefox instead of Seamonkey/Mozilla
21 nsplugin - Builds plugins for Netscape compatible browsers
22
23 It just happens that the portage tree prefers seamonkey if you haven't
24 specified otherwise.
25
26 So in this case, the use flag descriptions do exactly what they say.
27 But normally, I just read the ebuild to figure out what a particular
28 flag does for a particular build. Sometimes, it just controls
29 dependancies, sometimes adds build options, most of the time they do
30 both.
31
32 -Richard
33 --