From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Unexpected side effect of GCC 4
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:22:58
1 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> posted
2 200611060929.52020.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below,
3 on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 09:29:51 +0100:
4
5 > where is the logic with that?
6 >
7 > You don't need to do regularly --emptytree emerges. If you don't change
8 > gcc you never need it. So why?
9
10 That's the thing. I haven't done a full emerge --emptytree since at least
11 gcc-4.1.0, which was never unmasked (it's 4.1.1 that's unmasked). I did
12 one sometime after 4.0, I think during the 4.1.0 release candidates, but
13 not since.
14
15 As for doing it every gcc upgrade, that's a bit ridiculous when you are
16 running the weekly gcc snapshots as I was between 4.0 and 4.1.
17
18 So, everything on my system has been compiled with (I think) at least a
19 4.1 release candidate or newer, but I haven't done a full --emptytree
20 since 4.1.1 was released and unmasked, I know. Thus, particularly since
21 I'm having that mysterious problem, it's time to do one, and see if the
22 problem disappears. =8^)
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
30 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list