From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: gentoo-sources 2.6.15-r6
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 13:25:39
1 P.V.Anthony posted <43E88548.2030302@×××××××××××.sg>, excerpted below, on
2 Tue, 07 Feb 2006 19:32:24 +0800:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I am trying to emerge gentoo-sources 2.6.15-r6.
7 >
8 > Yes I know that it is not released on the gentoo website. It is there on
9 > the http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/genpatches/releases-2.6.15.htm site.
10 >
11 > Is there a way to emerge this unreleased version? I would like to try it
12 > out as the version 2.6.15 is not doing too good now.
13 >
14 > Please do advice if there is some keyword setting I have to do.
15
16 It's not yet even in the tree, so it's rather more than a keyword setting
17 you'd have to change. The latest listed in the tree (synced this morning)
18 is -r3, according to equery and earch (a script from the gentoo-dev list)
19
20 You can also use packages.gentoo.org to look up various packages. For
21 gentoo-sources:
22
23 http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=gentoo-sources
24
25 It also says 2.6.15-r3 is the latest, with the latest changelog entry on
26 Feb 6 (that version already stable on amd64).
27
28 It would appear to me the versions in the list in dsd's devspace are
29 patch-versions or the like, not corresponding directly to ebuild -r
30 versions. A quick comparison of the changelog against the versions listed
31 on that page confirms it -- the stuff listed on the page as release
32 2.6.15-6 appears in the gentoo-sources changelog for 2.6.15-r3.
33
34 Finally, checking the gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r3 ebuild itself:
35
36 K_GENPATCHES_VER="6"
37
38 If you trace the eclass inherits, you'll almost certainly find that the
39 K_GENPATCHES_VER variable is used to determine which patch tarball is
40 applied, and further looking into that will find the tarball complete with
41 all the listed changes for that release.
42
43 So... just sync and emerge the latest gentoo-sources, and you should get
44 the stuff in patch release 6. No keyword changes required!
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
50 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
54 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list