From: Saifi Khan <saifi@×××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo-AMD64 ML <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] possible MBR corruption?
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 18:58:50
1 On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Marc Joliet wrote:
2
3 > Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 19:45:38 +0200
4 > From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
5 > Reply-To: <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
6 > To: Gentoo-User ML <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
7 > Cc: Gentoo-AMD64 ML <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
8 > Subject: [gentoo-amd64] possible MBR corruption?
9 >
10 > Hi,
11 >
12 > After the reboot following my daily upgrade from yesterday - during
13 > which a revised kernel was installed - GRUB just wouldn't finish
14 > starting. It's attempt to start looked like this:
15 >
16 > GRUB _
17 >
18 > with the underscore blinking. Ctrl-alt-del (reboot) worked.
19 >
20 > Now, to make it clear, I solved that: after finding out that I could
21 > make a bootable GRUB CD, I made one from within a live-CD (c't
22 > Knoppicillin 5.2). I was then able to boot into Gentoo with it and
23 > reinstalled GRUB into the MBR. Don't you just love GRUB ;-)?
24 >
25 > What I *do* want to know, however, is how the hell the MBR could have
26 > been wrecked in the first place. All I did was install the new
27 > kernel/initramfs via
28 >
29 > $ genkernel --lvm2 --symlink --install all [1]
30 >
31 > , edit grub.conf appropriately and reboot. It worked flawlessly until
32 > now. Is Genkernel known to cause anything like this?
33 >
34 > For the record: I have a Windows partition, but never use it[3]. So I
35 > can't imagine how that might be related. In the event that it helps,
36 > here's a list of the packages that were updated to yesterday:
37 >
38 > =net-misc/rsync-2.6.9-r3
39 > =media-sound/madplay-0.15.2b-r1
40 > =media-libs/libdvdcss-1.2.9-r1
41 > =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.22-r5
42 > =app-misc/beagle-0.2.17
43 > =app-arch/tar-1.18-r2
44 >
45 > Also, just to understand the issue better, am I correct in assuming that
46 > GRUB *always* installs its stage1 into the MBR or a boot sector (unless
47 > you install it onto a floppy or CD)? I know it's a stupid question, but
48 > I want to be sure that it was in the MBR in the first place, in the
49 > event that there was a completely different cause. If it helps, this was
50 > originally a Sabayon 3.20 install. A lot has changed since the initial
51 > install, though ;-).
52 >
53 > Of course, it could just be random disk corruption, but I sure hope not.
54 >
55 > - SATA drive: Seagate ST3320620AS
56 > - Motherboard: Asus M2N-E
59 Surprising !
60
61 I am using Seagate ST3320620AS 16Mb,NCQ with Asus M2N-MX.
62 No issues what so ever.
63
64 In fact as part of your grub installation on MBR,
65 could use the verbose option to see how things are going.
66
67 thanks
68 Saifi.
69
71 TWINCLING Society http://www.twincling.org/
72 freedom of innovation Hyderabad AP, India.
76 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list