From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 23:03:06
1 Thanasis posted on Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:54:53 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > on 12/09/2010 06:13 AM Duncan wrote the following:
4 >> Meanwhile, what about that 32-bit chroot option I mentioned? Actually,
5 >> there's a whole properly documented Gentoo guide for that, and it's
6 >> sort of special case, so I'll skip the details on it, but I'll describe
7 >> enough about it so you have some idea why you might want to run one and
8 >> how it works.
9 > Could you point to that gentoo guide about that 32-bit chroot on a
10 > no-multilib host please?
11
12 It's linked from the gentoo/amd64 project page, which is probably worth
13 bookmarking (or remembering, easy enough once you know it's there) on its
14 own:
15
16 http://amd64.gentoo.org
17
18 But here's a direct 32-bit chroot HOWTO link:
19
20 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/chroot.xml
21
22 There's a number of other useful links on the project page, as well,
23 including the gentoo/amd64 FAQ:
24
25 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml
26
27 And I won't link them directly here, but for those running into -fPIC
28 errors (as used to be common as *.so libs need it on amd64), there's a
29 developer's howto on fixing those, and also a listing of the contents of
30 each of the emul-linux-x86-* packages, for multilib folks that need a 32-
31 bit library but don't know for sure which emul* package it's in.
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman