From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:08:08
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Dale posted on Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:32:29 -0600 as excerpted:
5 >> I used lilo when I first started using Linux, Mandrake 9.1 days. When I
6 >> started with Gentoo, I switched to grub. I can't even imagine being
7 >> without grub. I know lilo has some strong points and is maintained but
8 >> I still prefer grub. I also read that a new grub is in the pipe too.
9 >> Supposed to be much better. That's the rumor anyway.
10 >>
11 > Grub is nice on local machines, due to the ability to use its interactive
12 > shell. That can be quite useful when the config is screwed up for some
13 > reason. On remote machines where the interactivity until booted is much
14 > lower anyway, that doesn't matter so much (if at all) and lilo is as good,
15 > possibly better.
16 >
17 > As for grub2... yes, it's in the pipe... as it has been for /years/.
18 > Unfortunately, they did the same thing kde did and pulled support for
19 > their current stable version LONG before the new version was stable,
20 > leaving users between a rock and a hard place. Fortunately, grub is far
21 > smaller and less complex than all of kde, and distributions were able to
22 > step in and pick up the slack (yeah, free software, try doing that with
23 > servantware when the original company abandons it), continuing to both
24 > keep it building with new toolchains, and add new features like support
25 > for ext4, etc.
26 >
27 > Unfortunately, last I knew, grub2 wasn't even officially on-disk-format-
28 > stable yet, tho with ubuntu and etc already using it, it's getting more
29 > difficult to change it, and they were /probably/ done with changes, but at
30 > least last I knew, it wasn't official, yet.
31 >
32 > FWIW, there's a (masked) grub-2 in the tree, that I've been thinking about
33 > playing with at some point, but I've not gotten to it. When I eventually
34 > do, I'll know quite a bit more about it, but grub1 (0.97-rX) has continued
35 > to work fine for me, so no rush.
39 One would think people would learn from KDE that stopping support for
40 one to favor the new one makes people . . . upset. I guess some people
41 never learn tho.
42
43 Dale
44