From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: busybox-1.23.0 not assembling RAID root
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 05:03:51
1 Randy Barlow posted on Mon, 19 Jan 2015 21:34:54 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On January 19, 2015 4:55:30 PM EST, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >>The failure is three messages:
6 >>
7 >>/init: line 16: mount: not found
8 >>/init: line 17: mount: not found
9 >>/init: line 18: mount: not found
10 >>
11 >>which appear to correlate with lines 16-18:
12 >>
13 >>mount -t proc none /proc
14 >>mount -t sysfs none /sys
15 >>mount -t devtmpfs none /dev
16 >
17 > Have you tried using a full path to the mount command?
18
19 Disclaimer: I've not had busybox on my system since I switched to gentoo
20 in 2004[1], so don't expect me to be much help with busybox-specific
21 stuff.
22
23 That said, the error is clear enough... mount isn't found on the path.
24 That's almost certainly one of two problems, both with straightforward
25 solutions:
26
27 1) Missing mount -> busybox symlink. (Most likely.)
28
29 2) That symlink not in the path, for some reason.
32 If the symlink's in the initr*, that'd be #2, so either adjust the path
33 accordingly before calling mount, or as Randy suggests, call mount using
34 the full path.
35
36 If instead the symlink's not there at all, as I suspect, that's #1.
37 Ensure that the symlink is available before attempting to use it, either
38 by placing it in the initr* at initr* build-time, or by using bitlord's
39 suggestion (busybox --install -s prior to invoking mount).
40
41 Presumably something changed in the new busybox and it's documented
42 somewhere, for example that initr*s are expected to run busybox --install
43 -s if they use the mount symlink now, or the like, and if I used busybox
44 I'd probably know about it from some time ago since I run ~arch, and
45 could then explain what and why, but since I don't... well I already said
46 "presumably".
47
48 ---
49 [1] Busybox wouldn't build then for some reason so I bypassed/
50 package.provided it, and I've never needed it as I keep what amounts to a
51 second copy of the system as a backup, with the copy taken when the
52 system was known working and stable, and tested by booting with root=
53 pointing at the backup before I trust it just as I would in an emergency,
54 as my emergency-boot, so I've simply never bothered with busybox. Of
55 course these days I run a custom profile with a totally empty @system
56 (all normal @system packages have a negating entry leaving nothing in
57 @system), and all the not-otherwise-depended packages I actually need in
58 @world, and since I don't need busybox and it's not a dependency of
59 anything I run, it's simply not there. =:^)
64 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman