From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] boottime
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:43:44
1 jevezze@××××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > I allready took everything out of my kernel but is there a big difference with
5 > modules or buildin's ? And X allready starts at boot.
6 >
7 > And why shouldn't I use genkernel?
10 I don't know about moving X, but this is a thread I thought about
11 starting yesterday so this is very timely. I'll look at X to see how
12 things are affected.
13
14 As for genkernel, that's pretty much like any other distro kernel with
15 lots of added modules and built in drivers that take up more resources
16 and take longer to load. It may not be much on a system, but every
17 second counts.
22 Frustra laborant quotquot se calculationibus fatigant pro inventione
23 quadraturae circuli
24
25 Mark Haney
26 Sr. Systems Administrator
27 ERC Broadband
28 (828) 350-2415
29
30 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support