From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Brother printers and Linux (was: Printer Setup)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:12:19
1 On Monday 16 October 2006 02:29, "Duncan" <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-amd64] Re: Printer Setup':
3 > Are
4 > those drivers closed source (in which case no way, I prefer FLOSS
5 > drivers, thanks, and certainly won't be putting any of my money into
6 > anything without them, "Linux" non-support that closed source ultimately
7 > is), or open but simply not ported to amd64/x86_64 yet?
8
9 IIRC, they do have one GPL'd "driver" but I believe it's just a cups->lpd
10 or lpd->cups "gateway driver"... If you can find their linux pages, they
11 do have some documentation about the licensing, but I don't believe their
12 licenses pass the DSFG -- I seem to remember pulling their drivers from
13 the non-free repository when I was trying to get them to work on my
14 laptop.
15
16 > Of course, if they simply open the specs
17 > sufficiently, the community will often provide drivers without company
18 > effort
19
20 No doubt. I'd prefer open specifications over open drivers anyday; it
21 makes whatever driver exist much more maintainable and portable. Usually,
22 open drivers mean we can reverse-engineer a specification, but that's
23 tricky at best.
26 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
27 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
28 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
29 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh