From: Milton Yates <milton.yates@×××××××××××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] AMD64 - Firefox, flash, java, mplayer and more....
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:17:11
1 Le mercredi 07 décembre 2005 à 11:46 -0500, Nuitari a écrit :
2 > > 1) If I build and boot a 32-bit version of Gentoo it is my
3 > > understanding that the AMD64 will be completely 32-bit compatible and
4 > > that I can run whatever any other IA-32 machine can run. Is this
5 > > correct?
6 >
7 > Yes
8 >
9 > > 2) If I build a 32-bit install is there anyway to run this 32-bit
10 > > environment within the 64-bit environment? I assume not.
11 >
12 > Yes, using a chroot
13
14 You don't need a the whole chroot thing if you only want flash and java
15 working in your firefox.
16 In this case:
17 * use firefox-bin (a 32bit firefox binary provided by portage)
18 * the (usual) 32 bit flash plugin
19 * a _32 bit_ libjavaplugin_oji.so : the java plugin file, you could copy
20 one from your other gentoo 32 bit system. I don't know if this is just
21 luck, but I only have dev-java/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02 which is compiled
22 in 64 bit and it does work!
23
24 mplayerplug-in does not want to work for now as far as I have tested
25 (that is, not so much).
26
27 Hope that helps.
28 I think building and maintaining a whole 32bit chroot is really
29 annoying, and after all you can run most 32bits apps out of a chroot
30 with the provided emul packages.