From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: emerge kde problems
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 11:28:42
1 Anthony Gorecki posted <200510290256.15093.agorecki@××××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 29 Oct 2005 02:56:11 -0700:
3
4 > On Saturday, October 29, 2005 02:48, Hamish Marson wrote:
5 >> So what's gone wrong now? I even rmeoved kde & started again, and just
6 >> seem to be back to square one again...
7 >
8 > You're attempting to use the monolithic and segregated KDE packages at the
9 > same time. As far as I know, that isn't supported.
10 >
11 > If you want kmail, for example, just emerge the kmail package. You don't
12 > need kdebase, kdepim, and so forth.
13
14 Just what I was going to post, but I've some more details/exceptions to
15 add.
16
17 * Basically, I think you got confused between kde-meta and simple kde.
18 See the last point below, but if some split packages are already merged,
19 you problaby want kde-meta, not plain kde.
20
21 * Even for the split packages, arts and kdelibs are monolithic, just as
22 they'd be with the full monolithic builds. All the KDE builds depend on
23 kdelibs and if USE=arts, arts. After that, one can merge individual
24 packages as desired and additional dependencies will be pulled in as
25 needed. (Here, with a dual Opteron and kde builds that don't parallelize
26 that well, I'll often run three builds, each with -j3, at once. That
27 won't work with kmail if you use USE=kdeenablefinal tho unless you have
28 LOTS of memory, as with enablefinal active, I watched one particular
29 compile thread climb to something like 780MB at one point (on the
30 kde-3.5-betas, but kmail has been a compile time memory hog for several
31 releases at least), and I'm not even sure that was the max it used, only
32 the max I SAW it use!
33
34 * I haven't actually tried it, but I /believe/ all you have to do is
35 ensure you don't merge any of the split packages from the specific
36 monolithic package they originate in, to avoid the blockage. kdebase, for
37 one, since it's all basic stuff mostly needed to run the environment or
38 konqueror or as a dependency for other packages anyway, could also
39 probably be merged from monolithic. I believe the devs said that the
40 monolithic packages each provide the packages they include, as well as
41 blocking them, so there should be no dependency problems as long as you
42 don't merge any split packages from a monolithic package you plan to merge.
43
44 * If you just want everything without spending the time to pick and
45 choose, emerge kde-meta, rather than kde, and it should merge just fine,
46 without blocking on the individual split packages you apparently already
47 have installed.
48
49 IOW, kde-meta <> kde. The same files are ultimately merged, yes, but
50 kde-meta does it by merging the individual split packages, while kde will
51 attempt to merge the monolithic packages, and will fail with block errors
52 if any of the split packages are already merged. Thus, once you have
53 split packages merged, either use kde-meta, or unmerge all the split
54 packages and merge kde before trying anything else.
59 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
60 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
64 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list