From: Christian Aistleitner <tmgisi@×××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Multiple X with multiple Keyboards
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:29:39
1 Hello,
2
3 I have several mice, keyboards, and monitors/graphic cards attached to my
4 gentoo ~amd64 machine at once. I created a server layout using all mice,
5 keyboards, and monitors. X (x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6) works like a charm.
6
7 However, I wanted to split the mice, monitors, and keyboards to
8 workplaces. For example the first mouse, the first keyboard and the first
9 Monitor for workplace1 and the rest for workplace2. Both workplaces should
10 allow to operate independently from the other. For example I am logged in
11 and working on workplace1. Them a friend drops by, logs in on workplace2
12 WHILE i am working on workplace1
13
14 So I separated my xorg.conf into two layouts. One for workplace1 and one
15 for workplace2.
16 However, I could not attach the keyboards to different vt's. Therfore, if
17 I choose to have workplace1 on vt7 and workplace2 on vt8, I can use either
18 workplace1 or workplace2. Not both of them simultaneously.
19
20 I found several patches for X, but after applying them, X did not compile.
21 I also found the „Backstreet Ruby kernel” mentioned several times -- these
22 pages however date back to 2003.
23
24 Does anybody on the list have such a configuration or can point me to
25 further resources?
28 Kind regards,
29 Christian
30 --