From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: USB 2.0 falling back to full-speed
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 23:04:27
1 Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com> posted 48C90384.9070804@××.com,
2 excerpted below, on Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:39:48 +0200:
3
4 > I'll think of it, although I'm afraid I might not find the time to
5 > follow up on the possible developer's requests. Since you have done it
6 > already, do you have pointers to get me started? I assume there's some
7 > fixed format needed to get the bug filed.
8 >
9 > Thanks for helping solve this problem!
10
11 Not really a fixed format. Just provide everything you can think they
12 might want... mentioning the other bug by number (as in bug #xxxxxxx) so
13 it gets auto-linked, telling them the kernel you are using and any where
14 you noticed changes in behavior, attaching your kernel .config file and a
15 kernel boot log (dmsg, there's an option in the config to change the size
16 of the log buffer if necessary), plus any post-boot syslog messages that
17 seem relevant, mentioning Gentoo/amd64, the gcc version in case it's a
18 mis-compile, the mobo and chipset, what you've already done to try to
19 trace it down, etc. You'll probably want to run the vanilla kernel for
20 reporting and testing, just so no weird patches from anything else are
21 confusing things.
22
23 My cases have all been regressions, in which case I noted the last kernel
24 that worked and the first that didn't, usually to the -rc level. One can
25 then bisect down to the daily snapshot and beyond if one has the time tho
26 it's not entirely necessary once they start debugging, usually.
27
28 Of course your bug will be somewhat different, in that it's not really a
29 regression (you may want to test that for sure, try a couple older
30 kernels just to see), but what's likely a bit of an extension from the
31 other bug, so they already have a decent amount of data on how this thing
32 normally behaves. I'd put that in the explanation.
33
34 I don't expect this one to be too major, actually. They may simply add
35 the chipset to a list of boards that needs a reverse order or something,
36 or may just give you a (grup) kernel command line option to reverse it
37 and tell you that's the solution...
38
39 If it were me, in keeping with the provide any info that might be
40 relevant theme... since there's already some discussion of it here, I'd
41 put a link to the thread as well. Who knows what bit of info might be
42 here that would otherwise take several rounds of back and forth before
43 you or they even realize it's relevant? FWIW, here's the gmane link to
44 your original post:
45
46 http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.amd64/13127
47
48 FWIW, if you post the bug number here once you have it, I'll probably CC
49 myself. As I said all the ones I've filed have been regressions, so it'd
50 be interesting to see how this runs.
51
52 BTW, unlike Gentoo and most FLOSS projects, many of which strongly prefer
53 that you file a bug in bugzilla, the kernel mode of operation is more
54 mailing list oriented, and they only have a bugzilla since that's what
55 many users have come to expect for filing bugs and tend to be comfortable
56 with. If you prefer mailing, you can mail the LKML, CCing the
57 appropriate area maintainer, etc. However, for those not already in the
58 kernel loop, bugzilla is likely much simpler, and Andrew and others do
59 watch it and make sure the bugs get channeled to the right place.
60
61 BTW, http://bugzilla.kernel.org .
66 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman