From: Benny Pedersen <me@××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] hp proliant 585 cciss grub problems and solving
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 02:03:00
1 as i got a very old and still working hp server i liked to install
2 gentoo on it to try to make it usefull here, first problem for me was
3 that i had problems getting grub to find valid root device, the root
4 dev is mounted /dev/cciss/c0d0p3 but this is needed to be writed in
5 grub.conf as real_root=/dev/cciss!c0d0p3
6
7 all else is just from the handbook
8
9 with 2.6.35 there is problem to load firmware to tg3 ethernet, it
10 works in 2.6.34
11
12 it leads me to the next question, is there not anyplace where a
13 default kernel config exists for most big server platform, or does
14 others just customize it so much there is not a common good one ?
15
16 so far i am happy to see ~42000 bogomips in gentoo with whole 32GB ram
17 and 8 core cpu, my plan with it will be to try using it with
18 virtualbox and have other os that way
19
20 any tips to share ?
23 xpoint