From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 18:53:45
1 Mark Knecht, mused, then expounded:
4 > I agree that RAID5 gives you an opportunity to get things fixed, but
5 > there are folks who lose a disk in a RAID5, start the rebuild, and
6 > then lose a second disk during the rebuild. That was my main reason to
7 > go to RAID6. Not that I would ever run the array degraded but that I
8 > could still tolerate a second loss while the rebuild was happening and
9 > hopefully get by. That was similar to my old 3-disk RAID1 where I'd
10 > have to lose all 3 disks to be out of business.
13 If the drives in the RAID came from the same build lot, the chances of
14 multi-drive failure are fairly high, if one fails.
15
16 I've had 3 out of four drives, from the same lot build, fail at the same
17 time. I've had others never fail. And a few that fail over time where
18 others from the same lot failed within a month of the first failure.
19
20 Bob
21 --
22 -