From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Best plan for cross compiling for i686
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 23:50:15
1 "Richard Fish" <bigfish@××××××××××.org> posted
2 7573e9640608051408i5d4db55bi526fb4ba03771a20@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sat, 05 Aug 2006 14:08:25 -0700:
4
5 > 2. chroot. I created a chroot environment by copying the actual / and
6 > /var filesystems from my laptop, so I could use the actual 32-bit
7 > toolchain and package database for my laptop. This works better, as I
8 > can at least start deep world updates, and I don't have the link or
9 > *-config issues with the crossdev method. The big problem here is
10 > packages that use uname or /bin/arch commands to determine the
11 > architecture. Since the kerrnel the chroot is running on is still for
12 > the amd64 arch, these packages get the idea that they can compile
13 > 64-bit code, which of course fails miserably with a 32-bit compiler.
14
15 With a bit of a disclaimer that I've no personal experience with this,
16 only have read the list and documentation, so I'll be of little help with
17 details...
18
19 Have you read the amd64 chroot guide? If not, read it, as that's
20 basically what you want to do. You got the idea right; you can jump-start
21 with what's on the laptop copied over if desired, but AFAICT, you missed
22 one little bit -- the command to change your uname to x86 so those
23 packages don't mess up.
24
25 Depending on how you set it up, you can run the 32-bit environment on the
26 amd64 for stuff like 32-bit-binary-only plugins and the like, too. It's
27 also possible, but not manditory, to set it up as a full dual-boot so you
28 can boot either x86 or amd64.
29
30 I'm about to head to work so won't bother looking up the chroot guide link
31 ATM, but it's linked from the gentoo/amd64 project site, AFAIK. If you
32 have trouble finding it, post again and I'm sure someone will give you a
33 more direct link.
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
41 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list