From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: [OT?] Firefox-1.5.0.5 ebuild file size
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:37:30
1 Richard Freeman wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Mark Haney wrote:
6 >> Since I'm not as up to speed as I really want to be on manipulating
7 >> ebuilds and portage, I simply deleted the ebuild and re-sync'd, this one
8 >> came down fine and is compiling now. I thought about a bug report, but
9 >> I felt that to be too extreme a measure if I was the only person seeing
10 >> the problem.
11 >
12 > If an emerge sync doesn't fix the problem filing a bug is a perfectly
13 > appropriate solution - any dev can fix this in 30 seconds (assuming it
14 > is obvious the ebuild wasn't tampered with). Most likely a dev forgot
15 > to run repoman when doing a commit - otherwise the digest error would
16 > have been caught (in theory they are supposed to do this all the time,
17 > but it can be slow). Ditto for problems when a package is marked stable
18 > and one of its dependencies is not.
19 >
20 > 90% of the time it was noticed 5 minutes later and fixed, and you might
21 > have done your last emerge sync in the interim. As a result I usually
22 > resync before filing a bug.
25 All of this is great information, and something I've needed to know for
26 quite a while. I really like Gentoo, so much so, that I've migrating to
27 it from Fedora on all my boxes at home (13 at last count). Other than
28 this laptop refusing to play nice with the ATI drivers, I've had nothing
29 but great experiences from it.
30
31 Thanks for the help and the info.
35 Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
36
37 Mark Haney
38 Sr. Systems Administrator
39 ERC Broadband