From: Dominik Karall <dominik.karall@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: Dmitri Pogosyan <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] openoffice-bin-2.0 : slow start
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:32:19
1 On Thursday 27 October 2005 17:19, Dmitri Pogosyan wrote:
2 > Yes, people claim it is due to Java.
3 > You need to have 32-bit Java installed, otherwise OO can't use java
4 > and spends lots of time searching for it
5 >
6 > > Hi *,
7 > >
8 > > I emerged openoffice-bin v2.
9 > > When I start ooo2-writer, it's taking an eternity : about 75 seconds
10 > > (ok, it'a pretty short eternity)
11 > >
12 > > Has anybody seen this issue ? May it be due to blackdown java ?
13
14 Wouldn't it be possible to make an ebuild which installs 32bit java on amd64
15 and change the OOo binaries to small scripts which change the JAVA_HOME
16 variable and start ooffice? That would solve all those problems imho.
17 Sure, the correct solution would be to get a 64-bit OOo working...I read that
18 there are already ebuilds in the gentoo forum, maybe those could be added to
19 portage hardmasked!?
20
21 cheers,
22 dominik