From: Leonid Eremin <leon.programmer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Machine recommendations?
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 19:08:25
1 > I don't know which PSU you're talking about, but make sure it has good
2 > efficiency and is reliable.
3 > IMHO it doesn't matter much if it's rated 120W or 450W, as long as it's
4 > efficient, ie 80 PLUS Gold Certified, or even better like Platinum (92+).
5 >
6 > But here's 2 major cons:
7 1. high power PSUs are less effective at low power usage.
8 2. more expensive, after all.
9 I would not recommend PSU rated at significantly higher wattage.
10
11 For motherboard: I've got Tyan S3115GM2N-B with 2x gigabit NIC and atom
12 onboard, which serves as
13 home file server & internet gateway (1 port WAN, 1 for LAN & gigabit switch
14 after it).
15 It has low power consumption and managed through IPMI - I can power on/off
16 remotely and have remote
17 console, even can reinstall/recover OS remotely.
18 Why don't you look for something similar? Of course, if you don't have some
19 sophisticated routing rules
20 which requires >=4 NICs.
23 Leonid.