From: Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] telnet daemon inetd confusion
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:58:49
1 I cannot telnet to my own machine, presumably because no telnet daemon
2 is running.
3 I emerged net-misc/netkit-telnetd which contains a
4 /usr/sbin/in.telnetd -> telnetd
5 and man 8 telnetd refers to inetd & services. services also refers to inetd,
6 specifically inetd.conf(5) and inetd(8), neither of which is present.
7
8 eix shows only a replacement for inetd, which leads me to suspect that
9 inetd is intrinsic,
10 but if so, why no sbin/inetd, and why no man page?
11 # eix inetd
12 sys-apps/xinetd
13 Available versions: 2.3.13 2.3.14
14 Homepage: http://www.xinetd.org/
17 I've searched around and found numerous related documentation, however
18 they are all for more complicated situations, I just can't see how to
19 start in.telnetd, which should be blindlingly simple.
20
21 All this is so I can telnet/ftp from a Windows machine in the next
22 room, so I don't have to go for a walk to look something up. It also
23 means I can have all my documentation on my gentoo machine, rather
24 than having a copy on the Windows machine for convenience.
25 --
26 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list