From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] chroot howto?
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:57:40
1 Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org wrote:
2
3 >Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 >>I unpacked an x86 stage 3, and set up hosts, networks and users as
7 >>instructed, but when I tried "linux32 chroot /mnt/gentoo32 /bin/bash" I
8 >>got a permission-refused error on /bin/bash. (I tried both with and
9 >>without --login; it made no difference.)
13 >Did you do this as root?
17 Yes, and as myself which gave a slightly different error msg.
18
19 >>So I unpacked a portage
20 >>snapshot, rebooted from the installation CD and tried again. I could
21 >>then chroot. I reasoned that /bin/bash could not be executed because
22 >>there was no 32-bit kernel, so I emerged and compiled gentoo-sources in
23 >>/mnt/gentoo32. After that I could chroot from the installed system.
27 >You don't need a 32-bit kernel.
30 Hmm. Then I'll have to solve the problem above. Meanwhile I have the
31 kernel so perhaps I'll keep it pro tem.
32
33 > For a few things it can be convenient
34 >to have kernel sources present, but I don't remember what things those
35 >are. Cross that bridge if you come to it.
39 Ok.
40
41 < Snip useful scripts - thanks! >
42
43 >I maintain my chroot as practically another whole system. That's
44 >wasteful but makes some things a lot easier -- even maintenance is
45 >easier with all that waste, because you are letting portage 'think'
46 >for you about what it needs to install.
50 Tha's more-or-less what I seem to be doing.
53 Rgds
54 Peter Humphrey
55 Linux Counter 5290, Aug 93.
59 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list