From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kernel.org vs. Gentoo-64 bit kernels (xruns)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:22:35
1 On Tuesday 20 September 2005 14:25, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On 9/20/05, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 > > I'm not familiar with the term "xrun", so this may be entirely off the
4 > > wall, but have you confirmed the hard drive is running DMA? If your
5 > > chipset or SATA drivers are wrong, and your hard drive is having to run
6 > > in legacy interrupt mode instead of DMA mode, it *WILL* destroy latency
7 > > and generally make the system unusable for any sort of real-time work at
8 > > all, regardless of the other kernel patches applied. So... in addition
9 > > to checking the network drivers, investigate the hard drive and chipset
10 > > I/O drivers as well, and confirm you ARE running DMA mode.
11 >
12 > Thanks, yes, DMA is running, as far as I can tell. hdparm -tT returns
13 > numbers that are >50MB/S.
14 >
15 > xruns are a term specific to the Jack server
16 > (jack-audio-connection-kit) that tell us whether we've had and overrun
17 > or an underrun. It's would be off topic to go deeply into how Jack
18 > operates when talking to sound cards, but take it to mean something
19 > bad has happened with real-time audio data.
20
21 Nah, it's more alsa specific. What soundcard do you use? Some soundcards are
22 more crappy than others (especially onboard ones). I guess it should support
23 DMA as even the soundblaster pro did so. Soundcards do however provide
24 various levels of hardware accelleration.
25
26 > Interestingly Jack runs from memory so hard drive performance should
27 > not cause major problems unless it's not interruptable in a more or
28 > less real-time way. On my Gentoo 32-bit machines (using Via and ATI
29 > chipsets) I've not had to install any real-time patches and can still
30 > run reliable at sub-2mS latencies. On those machines I can do pretty
31 > much anything, browse the web with firefox, do and emerge sync, etc.,
32 > and I get no xruns. On this AMD64/NForce4 machine and emerge sync
33 > causes xruns immediately, indicating the sound card is getting starved
34 > for data.
35
36 Good chance the soundcard buffer is smaller or the driver is crappy. You could
37 try to take the soundcard from the old machine and put it in the new one.
38
39 Paul
42 Paul de Vrieze
43 Gentoo Developer