From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 10:08:51
1 Am 09.12.2010 06:29, schrieb Dale:
2 > Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski wrote:
3 [...]
4 >> Frank Peters wrote:
5 >>
6 >> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:18 -0600
7 >> Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
8 [...]
9 >> What are some things that I should watch for and enable
10 >> that isn't so
11 >> obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
12 [...]
13 >> The first thing to decide is whether or not you want a pure 64-bit
14 >> system or a 64-bit system that keeps 32-bit capability.
15 >>
16 >> I am a purist. I left 32-bit programs in the dust a long time
17 >> ago.
18 >> But as a consequence there are some things that I will miss
19 >> because
20 >> they are available in 32-bit packages only. An example would be
21 >> Acroread, the PDF viewer, from Adobe. Without Acroread, you will
22 >> only view pdf files through the 64-bit xpdf. The Intel C++
23 >> compiler is another example. In fact, most commercial software
24 >> that bothers to release a Linux version will do so in 32-bit
25 >> format only.
26 [...]
27 >> You can set it in KERNEL by disabling 32 bit application support and
28 >> recompiling GLIBC and GCC without MULTILIB ;). Try also running 32 bit
29 >> app. System is not slower or anything else wrong happens. If You drop
30 >> 32-bit support You cannot use WINE and load PE32 apps (aka Win32).
31 >>
32 [...]
33 > I don't use Wine. I have never heard of PE32 so I don't guess I have a
34 > need for it either. lol It sounds like I should go pure 64 bit.
35 > Anyone disagree with that? Someone mentioned pdf files but I can use
36 > KDE's program for that as I do now. I can use OOo as a backup too.
37 > [...]
38
39 Didn't you post on gentoo-user that you watch youtube videos? Well, the
40 currently stable version of adobe-flash (10.1.102.64) is 32bit-only.
41 That will change again with the next higher version in the tree but the
42 switch to 32bit can happen again when Adobe decides once again that it
43 doesn't need to fix its security bugs for amd64.
44
45 You might also want to think about pre-compiled OSS applications in
46 portage (`eix -- -bin`). Not all of them come in pure 64bit flavor.
47
48 AFAIK there are only two reasons to avoid a multilib setup:
49 1. Disk space (~230MB on my system)
50 2. Compile time on packages that support multilib.
51
52 I don't think either of these will be an issue for your new system ;)
53 IMHO the increased flexibility is well worth the effort.
54
55 Hope this helps,
56 Florian Philipp