From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] sort error
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:05:29
1 On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 2:41 PM, P.V.Anthony <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am having a problem doing a simple sort. The sorting just does not
5 > work with the command sort.
6 >
7 > In a directory are the following files,
8 >
9 > access.log.0
10 > access.log.1
11 > access.log.10
12 > access.log.11
13 > access.log.12
14 > access.log.13
15 > access.log.14
16 > access.log.15
17 > access.log.16
18 > access.log.17
19 > access.log.18
20 > access.log.19
21 > access.log.2
22 > access.log.20
23 > access.log.21
24 > access.log.3
25 > access.log.4
26 > access.log.5
27 > access.log.6
28 > access.log.7
29 > access.log.8
30 > access.log.9
31 >
32 > Did the following command,
33 >
34 > #ls access.log.* | sort -n +0.11
35 >
36 > Got the following error,
37 > #sort: open failed: +0.11: No such file or directory
38 >
39 > What am I doing wrong?
40 >
41 > Tried puting the list of files into a file called "testing" then did the
42 > following command,
43 > #sort -n +0.11 testing
44 >
45 > Still same error,
46 > #sort: open failed: +0.11: No such file or directory
47 >
48 > How to correct this?
49
50 Hi,
51
52 I just tried it on Windows (cygwin... I'm at work) and it worked as
53 expected. Maybe the + character needs to be escaped in your shell?
54
55 Paul