From: PaulNM <gentoo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] MAKEOPTS values for Athlon 64 X2
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 05:44:37
1 Hey folks,
2
3 I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with different values for
4 MAKEOPTS="-jx" on Athlon 64 X2's. The guides usually suggest # of
5 cores/processors plus one. Looking at "man make.conf" doesn't help much,
6 it just says "Suggested settings are between CPUs+1 and 2*CPUs+1". The
7 only thing "man make" mentions about the "-j" option is "If the -j
8 option is given without an argument, make will not limit the number of
9 jobs that can run simultaneously." I've also seen some mentions of -j9
10 by people with dual core systems elsewhere, indicating it drastically
11 speed up some emerges.
12
13 So this leaves me with several possibilities. There's -j3 (current
14 setting), -j5, -j (no limit), -j9, or some other random number. Any
15 suggestions/warnings/links would be appreciated.
16
17 Thanks,
18 PaulNM
21 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list