From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: installing hal failing with file collision
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 01:22:01
1 Mansour Al Akeel <mansour.alakeel@×××××.com> posted
2 49F731DB.1080308@×××××.com, excerpted below, on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:42:03
3 -0300:
4
5 > --- /media/
6 > !!! copy
7 > /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/hal-0.5.11-r8/image/media/.keep_sys-apps_hal-0
8 > -> /media/.keep_sys-apps_hal-0 failed .
9 > !!! [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
10 > '/media/.keep_sys-apps_hal-0#new'
11 >
12 > >>> Failed to install sys-apps/hal-0.5.11-r8, Log file:
15 > Trying to create a file manually under /media is failing, even as a root
16 > I don't have permission to write to that folder! Which is really strange.
17 >
18 > $ ls -l /
19 [...]
20 > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr 28 04:15 media
21 [...]
24 Two things. First, that "/media/.keep_sys-apps_hal-0#new" looks strange,
25 like it may be trying to create the file with the #new in the filename,
26 instead of as a comment, the obvious intent. If that's it, it's an ebuild
27 issue and would need a bug filed. However #2 below looks like the real
28 culprit.
29
30 Second, not being able to write under /media even as root... You aren't
31 running SELinux or some such, right? What about quotas? Is / or /media
32 mounted read-only or with any other "interesting" options? How long has
33 it been since you've fscked that partition? Maybe there's some
34 corruption of some sort.
35
36 Assuming none of the above questions lead anywhere, and with any dynamic
37 mounts (thumb drives, cds, etc) unmounted, is /media empty? Assuming so,
38 what about rmdir-ing it, then creating it again? Is it now writable?
39 (If there's something in it, try temporarily moving it to something
40 like /media.bak, so you can then create the new dir.)
41
42 At one point I had a script in /tmp that simply wouldn't execute. I had
43 forgotten that I was mounting /tmp with the noexec option. =:^( Once I
44 figured out what was happening it was an easy enough fix, but it took
45 me awhile to figure out! Thus, I've a bit of experience with
46 "interesting" mount options. =:^)
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman