From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: [SOLVED?] Re: KMS can't find firmware
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:00:44
1 Sebastian Beßler posted on Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:01:52 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Am 11.12.2009 12:30, schrieb Sebastian Beßler:
4 >
5 >> platform radeon_cp.0: firmware: requesting radeon/RV635_pfp.bin
6 >> r600_cp: Failed to load firmware "radeon/RV635_pfp.bin" [drm:r600_init]
7 >> *ERROR* Failed to load firmware!
8 >
9 > Hi,
10 >
11 > as a workaround for that problem I used the kernel option to build in
12 > the needed firmware. Now it works like a charm. Working with the console
13 > was never so much fun before ;-)
14
15 You found the solution and posted it yourself before I could get to it!
16 =:^)
17
18 I too had the problem, even tho the tg3 NIC I use has firmware to load as
19 well (tho it can function without it).
20
21 The difference here tho, is that the framebuffer starts relatively early
22 in the kernel boot process, before the kernel has detected hard drives,
23 setup raid if it's configured (kernel auto-detect or fed in from the boot-
24 loader on the command-line), and loaded the rootfs. I don't personally
25 run an initramfs/initrd, so I can't say whether putting the radeon
26 firmware there would work or not, but I know it will NOT work if it's
27 configured to put the firmware in the usual place on / (/lib/firmware
28 maybe?, IDR for sure), because it needs it before the disk is setup for
29 access.
30
31 Thus, I too simply changed the couple kernel options necessary to have
32 the firmware built-in, so it's there when it needs to load it, disks or
33 no disks.
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman