From: Christian Limberg <barneyman@×××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Late in the game Windows dual-boot question
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:44:52
1 Mark Knecht schrieb:
2 > Hi,
3 > My Gentoo AMD64 machine is the only machine in the house with a
4 > video card capable of running a Windows game my teenage kid got for
5 > his birthday. I checked Cedega and unfortunately they don't support it
6 > yet. This has raised the spectre of possibly adding Windows to this
7 > machine so that he can play the game.
8 >
9 > The machine has some disk space but it's at the end of the hard
10 > drive. I've not done a Windows install after running Gentoo ever. I
11 > used to add Gentoo to Windows boxes but haven't done it in a long
12 > time. What are the issues?
13 >
14 > I assume that the Windows install would wipe out grub. Would I just
15 > reinstall grub from a Gentoo install CD to get it back and then modify
16 > my grub config file to set up the dual boot?
17
18 Hi,
19 yes, thats the way of doing it. After your Windows is installed, the
20 Windows boot loader will have replaced your grub - so you have to boot
21 gentoo boot cd, do a chroot to your linux system and reinstall grub into
22 your MBR as it is described at Chapter 10 Gentoo Handbook. (Of course
23 you don't have to reemerge it!).
24
25 > Any grub/Windows issues
26 > having Windows at the end of the drive sitting in an extended
27 > partition?
30 That is still a serious problem - Windows XP SP2 still needs at least a
31 very small primary partition for its boot loader. The other stuff can be
32 installed at an extended partition. If you have no prim. partition left,
33 you have to free at least one of it, otherwise it is not possible to
34 install or run Windows. I have tried a workaround for this - installing
35 Windows at a primary partition and then moving it to an extended
36 partition, but that doesn't work too. So I had to give up my 32MB
37 boot-partition and moved this partition into an extended partition.
38 After that the Windows installer grabed this partition for its boot
39 loader, but Windows itself is now laying at the end of the disk.
40
41 > What other problems am I likely to have, assuming Windows doesn't
42 > completely wipe the drive and leave me in a world of pain?
45 Hmm, I don't know any further problems. After your GRUB is back, Windows
46 won't touch your MBR - and because Windows can't see your Ext/Reiser/XFS
47 partitions it won't create a Recycle Bin either. ;)
48
49 > Thanks,
50 > Mark
53 Regards Christian