From: "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Need advice on spin-down harddisk.
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:49:46
1 Hi again,
2
3 I am building a fileserver for our studio. The files going to be stored
4 are audio files. Most will be in aiff, wav and mp3 files.
5
6 I am using a software raid 5 over 15 drives. Using Western Digital
7 drives because the sales man said that they are quieter.
8
9 My setting for chuck size is 256K. Using ext3 for the filesystem. When
10 creating the filesystem, the setting used was -b 4096 and -E stride=64.
11
12 **Is the stride setting of 64 correct?
13
14 We need the noise of the server to be as quite as possible. The speed of
15 the server is not the most important issue.
16
17 The cpu is Intel Core 2 duo. In the make.conf file the
18 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64". I was thinking of using some cpu frequency
19 reducing application when there is no much access to the server. Plus I
20 hope it will save some electricity.
21
22 **Please advice if that is a good idea. If so which application should I
23 use for the Intel Core 2 Duo running at 1.8. Some applications from the
24 gentoo site are cpudyn, cpufreq, speedfreq and powernowd. Please advice
25 which is most useful for this server.
26
27 Last but not the least is the spinning down of the hard disk.
28
29 **Is it a good idea to spin down the hard disk during low use? Will it
30 spoil the hard disk? If it is a good idea, please let me know what is a
31 good application to use.
32
33 Requesting help to make some decisions on this. Please help where you can.
34
35 P.V.Anthony
39 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list