From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: opengl issues in emerge world
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:57:14
1 Dieter Ries <clip2@×××.de> posted 200608261244.05419.clip2@×××.de,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:44:02 +0200:
3
4 >> So, for the [problem of the ebuild not properly switching to xorg-x11
5 >> opengl] try manually running eselect opengl list, then eselect
6 >> opengl set <number for xorg-x11). If it's screwed up, you may have to
7 >> try toggling it to something else then back to xorg.
8 >
9 > there is only xorg-x11 in the list,
10
11 That's interesting, as you say you are using the Nvidia slaveryware video
12 drivers, which should give you NVidia's OpenGL drivers as well.
13
14 >> For the former problem, because the compatibility libs are pre-compiled
15 >> binaries, remerging them goes pretty fast, so rather than mess with
16 >> trying to get the detection order right, the easiest workaround is to
17 >> simply unmerge the compatibility libs so the detection will find the
18 >> proper 64-bit versions, then remerge the compatibility libs after
19 >> you've merged whatever was choking on them.
20 >
21 > i re-installt the nvidia drivers without 32bit compatibility, but it
22 > didnt work afterwards, either. i cheched if the /usr/lib64/libGL.so
23 > existed, but there was only /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1
24 >
25 > i linked it to /usr/lib64/libGL.so, and afterwards, emerge -avD
26 > libquicktime worked.
27 >
28 > but xdriinfo still fails with the same error as posted in the last email
29 > any ideas?
30
31 OK, eselect opengl is definitely screwed up, as it's the one that should
32 be creating the symlinks, and with the NVidia drivers, you should have the
33 NVidia OpenGL option as well.
34
35 What nvidia-* packages do you have merged? You should probably have
36 nvidia-drivers (or possibly nvidia-legacy-drivers if you have an old card),
37 which is the merged nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx. If you haven't updated
38 to nvidia-drivers (or legacy), then you'd need both kernel and glx.
39
40 At this point, I'd try to straighten out the eselect opengl first. If you
41 play 32-bit games or run other 32-bit 3D (read OpenGL) enabled apps, go
42 ahead and remerge it with 32-bit again, as that wasn't what I was
43 referring to (more on that later). Then try remerging eselect-opengl. I'm
44 not sure how the detection works, but if you still don't have an entry for
45 nvidia opengl after that, I'd try remerging the nvidia drivers again after
46 eselect-opengl, then if necessary eselect-opengl again.
47
48 Thus:
49 emerge nvidia video drivers with 32-bit
50 emerge eselect-opengl
51 Take a look and see if you have an nvidia entry under eselect opengl list
52
53 If not:
54 emerge nvidia's drivers again
55 emerge eselect-opengl again
56 Take another look.
57
58 If you still don't have them, consider checking for and filing if there
59 isn't one, a bug on eselect-opengl.
60
61 Once you get that straightened out, hopefully you'll be fine.
62
63 FWIW, the other thing I was concerned about was the stuff in /emul. That
64 is, the 32-bit compatibility library packages named as
65 app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-*, particularly xlibs. I was suggesting if
66 you have any of those merged, unmerge them temporarily then remerge them
67 after the upgrade. (Again, those are all pre-built binaries, no
68 compiling, so they merge pretty fast as it's pretty much just a few file
69 copies and updating the ld-cache.)
70
71 However, while it's still possible you may need to do that, I'd worry
72 about getting eselect opengl working correctly first. If you are still
73 having problems after that, /then/ it's time to worry about this.
74 However, right now your system is in a somewhat unknown state in regard to
75 opengl in general, and I'd want to get that fixed and functional before
76 trying the other.
77
78 Again, this is trying to help but I've no experience with it myself as I'm
79 not going to run software that restricts my freedom, or purchase hardware
80 from those who refuse to respect my choice of software freedom. As such,
81 while I can try to help, it's possible I'll miss something vital that
82 someone willing to compromise their freedoms and running the
83 software/hardware would pick up right away.
88 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
91 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list