From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] video driver / system state question
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 00:01:30
1 Hi,
2 I've been working on trying to get this new machine to run X. So
3 far no luck but I'm learning so it's interesting.
4
5 My quick question goes like this - if I boot with no drivers I get
6 a VGA console. If I modprobe a frame buffer driver at boot time then I
7 get a nice looking but slow frame buffer console. All good so far.
8 However my graphics adapter is supposed to use the i915 driver and
9 when I modprobe that - either in auto-load or at the command like
10 after logging in - my screen goes 'black'. I'm wondering what I do -
11 other than look at what's in dmesg - to figure out what state the
12 machine is in. Is the screen turned off? Is the driver running and
13 putting out 'black'?
14
15 What do I look at to understand what the driver is doing and what
16 the system thinks is the state of the screen before I start X?
17
18 It turns out there are flags you can turn on to debug drm that show
19 me the system is finding my monitors and lots of mode line info, but
20 then the screen is black so it seems like somethings not right. Are
21 there any tools to query this sort of situation?
22
23 Thanks,
24 Mark