From: Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] no sound in firefox java
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 04:02:52
Lie Ryan  <lie.1296@×××××.com>
> OSS or ALSA?
Using ALSA by default, although I suspect java or firefox is using OSS hence playing around the the OSS emulation. I meant to include this # lspci | grep Audio 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) 01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc HD48x0 audio I've tried selecting both devices in alsaconf. Same symtoms for both. On 6/18/11, Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
> I would set up pulseaudio (if it isn't set up already) and then worry > if I still had trouble with sound.
I installed pulseaudio, added the pulseaudio use flag, and rebuild with --newuse. I went thru <> logged out & in from kde, and got no sound at all. Rebooted and still no sound, in any application. If I mplayer -ao pulse, it opens the sound okay, but no sound is audible if I mplayer -ao alsa it can't find the library, I think thats because of the rebuild with pulseaudio use flag. There is no /dev/dsp device (which is the oss compatibility device). pavucontrol runs, but doesn't see any sound devices. <> suggests doing a "fuser /dev/snd/*" and kill off any process listed. I have nothing listed here. Before rebooting there were a few KDE things, eg. knotify This also suggests killing the daemon and doing "pulseaudio -vvvv" which gave: : D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib64/pulse-0.9.22/modules/': success E: socket-server.c: bind(): Address already in use E: module.c: Failed to load module "module-esound-protocol-unix" (argument: ""): initialization failed. E: main.c: Module load failed. E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon. : The problem is I now have 3 pulseaudio daemons, which keep starting, stopping, restarting, so the PIDs keep changing. I'm about to reboot again to get rid of them.

Subject Author
[gentoo-amd64] Re: no sound in firefox java Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>