From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Keyboard Stops Working Under X [Solved]
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 03:04:11
1 On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 18:21:01 -0500
2 Phil Turmel <philip@××××××.org> wrote:
5 > I'm not inclined to
6 > fork Xorg, so I've sucked it up and joined the udev/evdev world.
9 The problem was a faulty keyboard. In retrospect it would seem obvious,
10 but the fact that I could regain control by stopping X and the fact that
11 there were other recent reports of identical issues prompted me to
12 make a post to this list. For example, see the following link:
13
14 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-evdev/+bug/1066189
15
16 For the time being I can keep using my "antiquated" input drivers, but
17 eventually I will be forced to adapt by switching to evdev.
18
19 Yes, *forced*. The freedom of choice is slowly being removed. We are
20 moving toward, a monolithic, one-size-fits-all, Linux.
21
22 Let's consider a case in point from the Gentoo portage tree.
23
24 I have lots of ebooks in DJVU format, and I really can appreciate the
25 excellent DJVU reader called djview. However, the latest update of
26 djview came as quite a surprise. Apparently, dbus is now required
27 by Gentoo to build the djview-4.9 package and there is no way to avoid
28 it. My make.conf file has "-dbus" indicated but that means nothing.
29 Choice? What choice? No dbus, no djview.
30
31 Fortunately, I can compile the djview package myself outside of Gentoo
32 without using dbus, but the case illustrates the fact that even though
33 certain options are available these options are being withheld by
34 the distributors.
35
36 Most Linux users probably could not care less about such things, but,
37 for me, the issue of choice is much more than just a philosophical rant.
38 It has significant practical consequences as well, but a discussion
39 of those would be too far off topic.
40
41 Thanks to all those who offered advice.
42
43 Frank Peters