From: Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] VMware Player on Gentoo question
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 19:36:13
Mark Knecht wrote:
> Interesting, but I wonder whether a guitar player / chip designer type > guy could set it up? Spartanic is not generally a good environment for > the likes of us.
Qemu at the moment is a command-line app, with the graphical output in a window, though I believe to have heard of gui frontends but never actually used one. VMWare has a graphical configuration and some extra convenience features that make it somewhat easier to use (e.g. bridged networking is a lot easier to set up and the VMware tools for windows have some nice extra features). In time, these convenience features will probably be incorporated into qemu, too. I don't know about Parallels, never tried it. I would suggest trying out the trial versions of VMware and Parallels to see if you want to pay for them. As to qemu, the qemu documentation [1] and user forums [2] will probably have some useful info. There is also a nice repository of free os images that are ready to use [3].
> The web page say this module is closed source. If that's the case then > why qemu vs. VMware vs. Parallels?
Well kqemu is gratis, and if you insist on free you can use qvm86, though that might be less tested. As a kernel module can always take down your machine, i prefer the one a lot of people test -- i'm lazy :) I don't know the history as to why kqemu is closed source (all of the author's other projects are open-source), but i'm hopeful that will change.
> Thanks. It's very intersting. How does this compare to BOCHS?
To my knowledge bochs is a lot slower than qemu even without kqemu. I've never tried it myself though as i've always been happy with qemu, so that might all be lies :) Wikipedia has a nice page comparing emulation/virtualization/... solutions [4]. Marco [1] [2] [3] [4] -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list