From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Some strange blocking
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:37:42
1 On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > I really don't understand these folks who run partly stable systems.
5 > Either run stable, and be content with versions sometimes /years/ out of
6 > date, or run ~arch. Mixing the two is IMO asking for trouble. Yes,
7 > there may be very occasional exceptions due to hardware support, but I
8 > can't see openrc being in that category, and even then, if someone is
9 > planning to run sometimes years outdated stable, they really should check
10 > that the hardware they're looking at is supported that far back, before
11 > they get it. Otherwise... bite the bullet and go with ~arch. That's my
12 > opinion.
13 <SNIP>
14
15 Easy answer: Overlays.
16
17 I run (as much as I can) stable on my basic system. I don't care if
18 it's years out of date. I don't want to deal with (please excuse me
19 here) portage-kiddies who put out not-well-tested versions of packages
20 which cause me to upgrade and then downgrade as issues come up. I
21 figure if they haven't made it stable then I don't care...until I do
22 care.
23
24 Typically what causes me to 'care' about running non-stable is that I
25 *always* run package level ~arch for software in the pro-audio overlay
26 that I'm using. (Ardour, Jack, RoseGarden, dssi-vst requiring Wine,
27 etc.) I help test it. I use it. I cannot have those programs be more
28 than a day or two behind the developers. Often they are adding
29 features I've asked for. I owe it to them to test it and this
30 sometimes requires that I unmask some basic package maintained by the
31 main portage database. Operating this way allows me to get some
32 testing on these portage packages - the audio developer is using it
33 and it works for him - before I emerge it on my system.
34
35 Just my 2 cents,
36 Mark