From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Symlinks vs. Bind mounts.
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 07:45:22
1 On Wednesday 13 August 2008 23:54:48 Matthias Bethke wrote:
2 > Hi Peter,
3 >
4 > on Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 11:04:13AM +0100, you wrote:
5 > > You could always allocate another swap partition. One of my boxes has 4
6 > > 2GB partitions on different disks, though that's far more than I need.
7 >
8 > You still get the benefit of automatic striping so if they're on
9 > independent channels you have roughly four times the swap throughput.
10
11 I've read somewhere that for maximum speed you need to set equal priorities
12 on the swap partitions in fstab, so that 'defaults' gets replaced
13 with 'pri=1' (or some other number, as long as it's the same for all).
14
15 > I have two 500G disks, mirrored in a software-RAID0 on all partitions
16 > but swap which is on two separate 16G partitions.
17
18 Similar to mine, apart from the sizes, but I also have a couple of IDE disks
19 with swap partitions on them.
22 Rgds
23 Peter