From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Compiler Flag -m64 Gives Warning
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:14:37
1 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> posted
2 20090424090615.26193234.frank.peters@×××××××.net, excerpted below, on
3 Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:06:15 -0400:
4
5 > I just switched to Gentoo from another distribution and my only regret
6 > is that I did not make the switch much earlier. Gentoo is a fantastic
7 > way of managing Linux and I am grateful to all those who have made it
8 > possible.
9
10 Hi and welcome! =:^) You seem to have about the same feelings I did
11 when I discovered Gentoo. I had found my distribution home! =:^)
12
13 > As I mentioned, this warning is merely an annoyance, but it does slow
14 > down the emerge process for several seconds as the program pauses to
15 > give sufficient time for the warning message to be read. If a large
16 > number of packages is being emerged, this can add up to a lot of time.
17
18 I see others addressed the primary concern of your post and it's now
19 resolved. However, you may find this useful as well.
20
21 Here's a couple make.conf settings I've found useful, well, one I've
22 found reason to change, and a couple similar ones I've not.
23
24 # Delay b4 cleaning out old packages
25 # I'm actually not sure this one's used anymore,
26 # but if there's an unwanted delay between merge of an update
27 # and clean of the old one, tweak this.
28 #Default CLEAN_DELAY="5"
29 CLEAN_DELAY="2"
30
31 # Do we want those user notification pauses and beeps?
32 # EPAUSE_IGNORE="true"
33 # EBEEP_IGNORE="true"
34
35 And, while we're at it, here's a couple hints that eased my way into
36 Gentoo.
37
38 First and most important, Gentoo has built a reputation for good user
39 documentation. Don't let it go to waste! In particular, it's a shame
40 how many users read the Gentoo Handbook, Part 1, Installation, and then
41 forget the other parts. There's some VERY useful information in those
42 other parts, Part 2, Working with Gentoo, Part 3, Working with Portage,
43 and Part 4, Gentoo Network Configuration.
44
45 In addition to that, I'd suggest looking over and bookmarking the Gentoo
46 Documentation list as found here:
47
48 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml
49
50 As you can see, there's step-by-step instructions for quite a number of
51 setup tasks one may wish to do on Gentoo, plus a number of other useful
52 documents. Any time you're considering a major upgrade like the recent
53 xorg 1.5 stabilization or a printer change, or installation and setup of
54 a new feature like RAID, LVM or Apache, it's worth checking here to see
55 if there's some Gentoo specific documentation in addition to the generic
56 package documentation that may be available.
57
58 Second, I'll mention what has become my favorite under-appreciated
59 portage feature, FEATURES=buildpkg. This creates binpkgs (in /usr/
60 portage/package by default, see the make.conf and portage manpages for
61 details on changing this and other settings) of everything you emerge.
62 Total additional space required, 3-4 gigs (you can do it in 2 gigs but
63 it's tight). But after you've accumulated binpkgs of everything on your
64 system, if you upgrade something and it doesn't work, no sweat, just
65 emerge --pkgonly the old working version. Since it's a binpkg it
66 installs real fast without having to recompile it, yet it's the same
67 customized package you built when you first installed it, not some
68 prebuilt compromise package like you'd get on a binary distribution.
69
70 binpkgs are also quite useful for other things. Since it's a simple
71 tar.bz2 with a bit of extra metadata glued on the end, you can use any
72 standard archiver to open it and examine or extract individual files if
73 necessary. Screw up a config file you were editing? No problem, just
74 extract the original out of the binpkg tarball! Have a problem with a
75 package and wonder what files changed between two different versions? No
76 problem! You have them both tarballed up as binpkgs and can browse the
77 tarballs comparing them!
78
79 What do you do if you get a broken portage, or python since portage
80 requires it, or gcc so you can't compile anything? Well, if portage
81 itself is still working (so for the gcc problem), you can simply emerge a
82 previous known working version from the binpkg. If portage is NOT
83 working, because the binpkg is basically a tarball, you can copy
84 make.conf somewhere it won't get overwritten, and extract the portage (or
85 python) tarball directly over the root filesystem, replacing the broken
86 version! Then copy back your make.conf that the extraction overwrote and
87 you're back in business! Of course this bypasses portage so now its
88 database is out of sync as it still thinks the other version is
89 installed, but that's easy enough to fix. Once it's working again, just
90 remerge the working version you emergency-untarred to the live filesystem
91 over itself, thus updating the database so it again knows what's actually
92 installed.
93
94 The handbook does mention FEATURES=buildpkg, but it doesn't really
95 describe how helpful it can be having those binpkgs around. But, this is
96 simply a hint. If you don't want to do it, it's your system, don't.
97
98 Those two hints should get you well on your way. In particular, reading
99 those oft-ignored parts of the handbook will help you understand a lot
100 more about how Gentoo works and why it's done that way than just doing
101 the install, tremendously helping as you transition from installation to
102 detail configuration and ongoing Gentoo system administration. I know I
103 avoided many of the problems others had as they started with Gentoo,
104 simply because I read the instructions. =:^)
105
106 Three, don't be afraid of the lists and/or forums, but it seems you've
107 got that one covered! =:^)
112 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman