From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: [OT] AGPART [SOLVED] DRIFT: RAM USAGE
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 13:38:50
1 Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> posted
2 20070506083444.279A29148B@×××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Sun, 06
3 May 2007 11:34:42 +0300:
4
5 > In case you didn't know...
6 >
7 > There are several kernel configuration options you can tweak to make it
8 > cache more aggressively. Also you could try XFS - it is known to be one
9 > of the most hungry-for-RAM file systems. Please, have in mind that these
10 > tweaks could be dangerous for your file system in case of power failure.
11 > Consider using an UPS.
12
13 I knew about these in general, but still good to post as others may not.
14
15 You are talking write-caching here. I generally leave that pretty much
16 alone, for the reasons you mention (corruption in case of kernel panic
17 and/or power failure). That's also why I've chosen not to run XFS. (I
18 run reiserfs and while I did have issues some years ago, early kernel
19 2.4, I've had none since the introduction of data=ordered journaling and
20 that as the default, even when I had faulty memory and was having fairly
21 regular kernel panics as a result. I wouldn't have wanted to try that
22 with big write caches and/or XFS!)
23
24 The caching I had in mind was read caching. No risk there. =8^)
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
32 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list