From: Dmitri Pogosyan <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Bluetooth Config
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 16:02:12
1 >
2 > Sounds like it just managed to get harder.
3
4 It is, but perhaps not as a matter of principle. Seems that development is
5 focused entirely on bluetooth subsystem, leaving user side tools and user
6 level documentation far behind.
7
8 bluez-4.x has very primitive (and nowhere, except comments explained) config
9 files. Most of the management (like enabling/disabling services, pairing) is
10 done at runtime through d-bus commands. Since I did not find any command line
11 tools that do that, one has to rely on gnome-bluez or blueman (both of which
12 comes with some gnome dependancies, unfortunately).
13
14 In online docs you can get some hints and tips, but there is no coherent
15 description what to do, at least as far as bluetooth networking is concerned.
16 I used the following links
17
18 http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/noko/index.php?title=Gentoo_bluetooth_network_gateway_with_bluez-utils_3.*
19
20 (but dbus-send command is incorrect for bluez-4.x)
21
22 Correct dbus command I got from
23
24 http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Manually_using_Bluetooth#Information_about_bluez4_networking
25
26 and it is something like
27
28 dbus-send --system --dest=org.bluez --print-reply /org/bluez/`pidof
29 bluetoothd`/hci0 org.bluez.Adapter.GetProperties
30
31 (here ~amd64 d-feet utility is invaluable to find what d-bus interfaces and
32 methods you driver exposes).
33
34 http://bluez.sourceforge.net/contrib/HOWTO-PAN
35
36 (old, there is no pand daemon anymore, but finally explained to me when I am
37 supposed to see bnep0 devices, and what's there relation to pan0 device)
41 > So I should be installing bluez instead of
42 > net-wireless/bluez-libs net-wireless/bluez-utils as the documentation
43 > states?
44
45 I did go with ~amd64 bluez-4.39 (since I had no previous setup anyway) and
46 spend last week on/off trying to configure networking with mobile phone. Not
47 yet there, but apporaching ... (actually I got stuck yesterday trying to pair
48 two computers - not that I need it, but as a matter of principle, phone got
49 paired all right).
50
51 BTW, bluez-4.39 has 'old-daemons' USE flag, which perhaps will give you sdpd
52 and pand to mimick old behaviour, but I have not tried that.
55 Good luck, and keep us posted on progress !
59 Dmitri Pogosyan Department of Physics
60 Professor University of Alberta
61 tel 1-780-492-2150 11322 - 89 Avenue
62 fax 1-780-492-0714 Edmonton, AB, T6G 2G7, CANADA