From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Drivers For USB HDD
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 18:05:05
Lie Ryan, mused, then expounded:
> It's not a good idea to not do journalling for an external drive. No matter > how careful you are, it is just a matter of when you will trip up your USB > cable in the middle of a write; and then you should just pray that fsck can > save your drive without the journal. >
If there is concern about that, then the two filesystems to use would be XFS and EXT3. But, don't take my work for it, simply set up a bootable image with each filesystem, create a bootable USB stick, boot it, then pull it without unmounting it. Even pull power. With current >= 2.6.32 kernels those will survive better than the others.