From: Homer Parker <hparker@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to install multilib'ed version of any library (for real multilib for x86 and x86_64 for every libraries)?
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:00:53
1 On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 02:14 +0800, Cheng Renquan wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:54 PM, raxas <raxas@×××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > >> Furthermore, if compiling any other 32bit program on gentoo-amd64, it may
4 > >> need other more 32bit of libraries,
5 > >
6 > > You can use a chroot wrapped with linux32 (sys-apps/util-linux) to build a
7 > [...]
8 > Thank you, I know this approach already, but it will duplicate all
9 > static files like etc, share, doc, man, var, ... wasting space;
10
11 bind mount /etc and /var to the chroot (*If* everything is compatible),
12 use FEATUES="nodoc,noman,etc" in the make.conf in the chroot.
13
14 > Just a simple problem:
15 > 1) if other linux distros can achieve, why gentoo not?
16
17 Simple answer, how many of them are installed from source? There is
18 work being done on true multilib support in gentoo, /join
19 #gentoo-multilib (or something named that obvious, I'm on a junk
20 internet connection atm and not sure this reply will make it out
21 today :P )
24 Homer Parker <hparker@g.o>