From: Kevin Philp <kevin@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Messed up my installation
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 15:07:17
1 I think I have made a mess of my installation, but I think its recoverable.
2
3 I installed Gentoo AMD64 from the minimal install disk. Next I installed
4 X, gdm and gnome. All went well with the exception of the MS core fonts
5 which threw a checksum error when the trying to install andale.exe. I
6 restarted with emerge --resume --skipfirst and all seemed OK - please
7 correct me if I am wrong here!
8
9 First problem - X wouldn't start. After reading around I noted that I
10 should have included
11
12 INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
13 VIDEO_CARDS="nv nvidia"
14
15 I re-emerged X but no joy - eventually I manually emerged the xf86
16 keyboard and mouse drivers and I managed to get into Gnome using the nv
17 driver. Nvidia complains about the kernel being tainted and removing
18 riva drivers from the Kernel - which were not compiled in anyway so I am
19 not sure what is wrong there.
20
21 Gnome appears to have 90% of its icons missing - the terminal icon is
22 there but any other icon in the menu is missing and most of the icons on
23 the panel are missing.
24
25 So - Several questions:
26
27 1. How do I fix the icon problem?
28
29 2. What is wrong with Nvidia - I followed the NVidia guide and
30 reinstalled nvidia after recompiling the kernel.
31
32 Kevin.
38 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list