From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 01:04:22
1 On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:31 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > BUT RAID5/6 DOESN'T USE
3 > THAT DATA FOR INTEGRITY CHECKING ANYWAY, ONLY FOR RECONSTRUCTION IN THE
4 > CASE OF DEVICE LOSS!
5
6 Well, to drive this point home in the case of the thread that wouldn't
7 die, I had put an entry in crontab a week ago to do a weekly forced
8 check of all my arrays. Last week it passed. Today towards the end
9 drive performance seriously deteriorated, and eventually smartd sent
10 me an email about pending sectors (these are read errors).
11
12 Long story short I ended up failing the drive out of the array (at
13 which point my system stopped crawling), and tried wiping the bad
14 sectors individually, and after self tests kept failing I even tried
15 zeroing the drive. With sustained read failures under those
16 circumstances I decided the drive had to be suitable for RMA. The
17 drive was almost a year old.
18
19 So, crossing my fingers that I don't suffer another failure and I'll
20 be ginger with my clean shutdowns. Since the problem was discovered
21 before I had dual failures the RAID should be recoverable without
22 further loss.
23
24 If you don't already, check your arrays weekly in crontab. Scripts
25 for this can be found online or I'd be happy to post the one I dug up
26 somewhere...
27
28 Rich