From: Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:05:03
Nothing much. Use like normal x86 besides:
- Kernel set to Your CPU in Processor Setttings (generic x86_64 is good for
all configurations).
- Accept keyword for "Beta"-like packages is ~amd64 not ~x86
- You don't have to set MMX flag, but set SSE, SSE2 and if Your CPU have it
- SSE3 this will optimize floating point operations.
- Enable SMP (symmetric Multiprocessing) where available - by flags.
- If it's multicore (I have Intel on my LAP so don't know about Your CPU)
set MAKEOPTS to cores count+1.
- If it's multicore try to enable threads flag - this boosts performance
even on single core cpus, but on multicore will make much difference.
- Chceck by eselect what profile of portage you have set as default. If is
not try setting some with Amd64 on path.
- When GCC upgrade check if "multilib" is set - this will enable You to link
with 32-bit libs and 64-bit (as standard).
- In kernel set ciphers and algorithms (like MD5, SHA etc) to amd64 version.

I think that's it. Everything elese should be fine.

-- Mateusz Mierzwiński Bluebox Software http://www.blueboxsoft.pl/mateusz-mierzwinski